Sunday, 4 September 2011

Product Review: Fit Fruit & Vegetable Wash

Much excitement in the Domestic Disgrace household yesterday when the postman delivered my first product to review.  To put this into context, other high points of the day were getting the washing out on the line and finding half a Kit Kat in my sock drawer but, nevertheless, it was still exciting.

So, I have in front of me a bottle of Fit antibacterial fruit and vegetable wash.  This is what the company who makes it have to say about it:

"From kitchens to bathrooms, toilets and all household surfaces we clean and disinfect every bit of our home - as well as wash our hands before handling food - but is the food we eat clean?  Short of scrubbing your fruit and vegetables with a detergent what can you do to protect yourself and the family?  The solution is Fit Fruit & vegetable Wash, made of natural ingredients, which removes pesticides and bacteria leaving no aftertaste or smell, so you get just the taste and nutrition that nature intended."

My first reaction to this was one of scepticism, after all, I am a slacker who doesn't "clean and disinfect every bit of my home".  My excuse is that a bit of dirt is good for the immune system, plus I reckon I've had worse in my mouth than a grubby apple (I know, I know, you can't buy class like that), so it's not exactly going to kill me.

Pesticides are a different matter though.  In an ideal world, the Disgrace household would buy and eat only organic produce, but money is tight, so unless we grow our own veg (unlikely - attempted this last year, resulting in a bumper crop of one courgette and four green tomatoes with a bonus plague of greenfly) it's not going to happen.  Sometimes as I hand Rory a bowl of fruit I have a niggling, guilty worry about it, but I never get much further than that.  Could Fit Wash be the answer to the problem?

Yesterday I tested it on a range of fruit and veg.  It's really easy to use - just spray on, rub in and rinse under the tap for a few seconds.  My apple tasted fine afterwards and the skin was noticeably less waxy.  The cabbage still tasted the way cabbage is intended to taste.  But the best and most noticeable results came when I tried it on some grapes.

Here's a photo I took showing (left to right) an unwashed grape, a grape washed only in water and a grape washed with Fit.













The difference is clear to see, but it was the taste test that convinced me.  You know how when you eat a grape straight from the fruit bowl you get a slightly chemical taste followed by a bit of a numb feeling as all the saliva is sucked from your mouth, only to be relieved when you bite the grape and release the juice? (Yet still I keep eating them. Pleasure and pain is the only explanation. Or gross stupidity. One of the two).  Well, it turns out that grapes aren't meant to do that.  Who knew?  It must be caused by some sort of pesticide or...I don't know...weird grape fungus or something because the grapes that I washed with Fit Wash didn't do that and tasted so much fresher and more pleasant for the removal of whatever covers them.

OK then Fit Wash people, now I'm convinced.  Your product does what it says on the tin and serves a valid purpose.  I felt extra smug as I served up our food: No dirt or chemicals would be going into my son.  Until I caught him on his hands and knees licking the kitchen floor a bit later on.  Seriously, why do I bother?

So, if your child is more sensible than mine (i.e. doesn't make a habit of deliberately ingesting filth) and you would like to try this product, it's available at www.buyfit.co.uk in the form of a 350ml spray for £4.99 or a 950ml bottle of the soak for £5.99.  I'd say it's well worth the money for peace of mind, the smug factor and delectable grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment